Uterine myomas or fibromas are the firm and compact non-cancerous growths that develop in a female reproductive system or uterus. In most cases, these tumors are benign in nature but sometimes they develop in size and interfere with the healthy lives of people. According to recent studies, about 20 to 50 percent women, who have attained their reproductive age, suffer from this painful medical condition.
The prominent doctors all across the globe are still not certain about the causes of these tumors but they are sure that certain hormones like estrogen make the lumps mature rapidly. They have also proved that women, who are going through their menopause or are obese, have greater chances of suffering from this condition.
These uterine growths have some atrociously painful symptoms. In the following discussion, we are going to talk about some of them in detail.
1. Bad Periods- Uterine Myomas, also known as fibroids could lead to heavy and abnormal vaginal bleeding. Women would also experience prolonged menstruation cycles, blood clots, and terrible cramps. Due to excessive blood loss, they may also develop anemia.
2. Excruciating Pelvic Pain- If the tumors grow, women would feel pressure and heaviness in their pelvis or lower abdomen. In some cases, the uterus enlarges causing severe discomfort and sharp pain. They feel difficulty in lying down, bending or exercising.
3. Bladder and Rectal Problems- Large tumors put excess pressure on the bladder giving rise to the issue of frequent urination. It could also lessen its capacity to hold usual amounts of urine. In some situations, women cannot empty their bladder even if they want to. The tumors can also press against the rectum and lead to internal hemorrhoids.
4. Backache and Painful Copulation- The growths at times put pressure on the nerves and muscles of lower back causing excessive pain. They could block the vaginal passage leading to discomfort and pain during sexual intercourse.
5. Pregnancy Issues- Depending on the size and place of the tumors, they could lead to complications during pregnancy. When a woman conceives, her body releases hormones causing the womb to grow. The same hormones also mature the tumors increasing the chances of premature labor or miscarriages. The extremely big ones could change the baby’s place causing complexities during delivery.
If you are suffering from the above symptoms, it is better to consult with a doctor and take professional guidance. Uterine Fibroid Embolization or UFE is a well-accepted treatment for fibroids. It preserves the uterus and gives relief from the lumps as well as the pain related to the condition.